Calvin Keasling, Principal
Welcome to Hillcrest!
My name is Calvin Keasling and I am delighted to be in my second year as principal at Hillcrest Community School. Hillcrest is an incredible community of learners and artists, and I am excited to continue the great work being done and lead the program to even greater heights.
At Hillcrest, we take great pride in being the choice school of Bloomington Public Schools and a nationally recognized Artful Learning school. We work hard to ensure every 5th grade student graduates from Hillcrest with a strong artistic identity and middle school ready. Through the integration of the arts we inspire, challenge, and empower our students to be strong community members and successful academically.
I believe that the arts:
- Empower students to take ownership of their artistic identity and well-being
- Engage individuals in the greater community
- Serve as an essential means of communication
- Provide insight into cultures and societies
- Support academic success of all students and help close the achievement gap by building interdisciplinary relationships with academics
I hold a principal's license from the University of Minnesota, a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education from St. Olaf College, and a graduate degree in ESL from Hamline University. I also serve on multiple arts-focused commissions, boards, and advisory committees in the Twin Cities.
Please feel free to email or call me with any questions, concerns, or comments that you might have. I look forward to meeting you and your child(ren) in person!
Calvin Keasling (aka Mr. K)